PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) or PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) is a condition very common, in which a woman ovaries nurture immature eggs in the ovaries or partially mature eggs in increased numbers, which causes to secrete out a large number of Androgens (male hormones) and that in turn causes infertility, irregular or absent menstrual cycle, hair loss, weight gain.
PCOD is caused mainly because of hormonal disorders and affects women in their reproductive age of 15 to 51.
Many women are unaware of this condition, even if they have it, and even though there are symptoms adhered with it.
General symptoms of PCOD are,
- Thining of hair on scalp.
- Irregular or absent periods.
- Weight gain.
- Increased facial hair.
- Fertility Issues.
Investigative tests like Blood Pressure measurements, Ultrasound, MRI, Thyroid tests, etc are done to determine the cause and hence initiating with the treatment.
Causes of PCOD.
How PCOD condition is caused in women?
It is quite a mystery to generalize the causes as it varies from person to person, but at majority, these are assumed to be the causes of PCOD.
- Androgen level increased from the ovaries that causes to increased level of hair growth on face, chest and body.
- Insulin srcretion level goes higher that causes in the higher level of Androgen production and causes difficulty with Ovulation.
- Inflamation grades are lower in women with PCOD that may affect the blood vessels and heart problem.
- Heredity correlations are very common among the PCOD patients.
Women with PCOD experience changes in their bodies and behavior. They may even attain some complication attached with the disease such as,
- Uterine bleeding.
- Type 2 Diabetes.
- Blood Sugar risk gets higher.
- NASH (Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis).
- Endometrial Cancer caused due to thickning of uterine lining which didnot shed away with periods due to no or absent periods.
- Sleep apnea, common in women who are overweight.
- Breathing interruption or pauses while sleeping.
- Depression and anxiety.
Treatment for PCOD.
PCOD can be treated depending on the symptoms, which are studied with blood tests and imaging. Depending on the tests and results various procedures may be recommended. Some common treatments for PCOD are,
- Ultrasound test to check for damage in uteres and ovaries.
- Blood tests are conducted to examine the hormone levels. To check for various profiles suchs as, cholestrol, Lipoprotein (High and Low density), glucose level and triglycerides levels, this test is important.
- Pelvic test is conducted to understand any damages to the reproductive organs.
Lifestyle modification is one key tool for the treatment of PCOD by maintaining body weight, carbohydrate levels, etc.
📣 The Liberacy is now on Telegram.
Click here to join our channel (@the_liberacy)
and stay updated with the latest News.
Support Our Journalism
India currently needs free, fair, and questioning liberal journalism even more as journalism now faces multiple crises, from its authenticity to its reach from the village streets to political corridors.
With news media in a crisis of its own and has experienced several cut-offs and suppression, The Liberacy has come in the front with its ideology of Liberal Democracy.
The Ideology of The Liberacy is to create a Liberal Democracy in India with its Journalism and strengthen Indian Democracy to its peak.
Such journalism needs support from good people. Like you. We hope you will see value in paying for what you read, hear and watch. We are, meanwhile, building a bouquet of subscriber benefits too.
At The Liberacy, we thank you for your trust.